Lesson plans from the 2010, 2011, and 2012 World Geography Academy are now available online!
At the moment we have had to host the files off-site, but you can download them here.
The Lesson Plans included:
- Natural Resources Distribution Web
- Common Core Standards
- Reading and Writing Skills in Geography
- Comparing Developed Developing Countries
- And more
- Human Advancement in the Americas
- Spanish Conquistadors
- The Culture of Comics
- Cultural Geography of India through Homeless Bird
- And More
- Desert Nomads
- Three Gorges Dam
- The Aral Sea
- Nigeria from Colonialism to Present
- And More
Have Your Students Design a Postcard for a Chance to Win Great Prizes for Both the Student and the Classroom!
- 1st Place-$75 cash, choice of NGS magazine subscription
- 2nd Place-$50 cash, choice of NGS magazine subscription
- 3rd Place- choice of NGS magazine subscription
Teachers of winning students will each win a restaurant gift certificate and a classroom set of 30 maps (teacher’s choice from OKAGE’s inventory).
- The postcard should be no larger than 8.5” x 5.5”. A template is attached to this post or you may simply divide a standard sheet of paper in half.
- Each student may submit only one postcard entry.
- The student must design both sides of the card (picture and note-address sides) using any medium other than paint or charcoal. Artwork must be two-dimensional and represent original work by the student. Computer generated artwork will not be accepted.
- A first, second, and third place winner will be selected in each of three categories: Pre K-3, 4-6, and 7-12. Judging will be based on (1) adherence to rules, (2) originality, and (3) content and appropriateness to the theme.
- On the front, the student should illustrate the Geography Awareness Week theme of“Geography: Declare Your Global Interdependence!”
- On the back, the student may include a handwritten “message” to an imaginary recipient that further illustrates the theme. The return address in the upper left must include the student’s first and last name, school name, school address, grade level, teacher’s name, and school phone. Please clearly print or type this information. Entries with illegible contact information will not be accepted.
- Entries must be postmarked by Monday, November 19, 2012.
For full rules and a post card template Click Here
You can also download a pdf version Here
The 2012 World Geography Academy is a two-day professional development institute primarily for teachers of Grade 7 “World Geography: Eastern Hemisphere”. This year’s event will be held Thursday, October 11, 2012 and Wednesday, November 7, 2012 on the University of Oklahoma Norman Campus.
Please download our registration form here: WGA Registration 2012 Form
Welcome to our new website! We hope to make this site very easy to use. Please look around and let us know if you have any questions!